Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Sleep issue has sleep name

So a few weeks ago I went to the sleep clinic and today I got my results. As crazy as it sounds I found out that I have sleep apnea. Basically what sleep apnea means is that throughout the night you stop breathing and in order to start breathing again, you wake up and then sleep until it happens again and again. For most people who have disease they do not remember waking up during the night- I am one of these people.

Sleep apnea is fairly common, but I am one of the unfortunate few who have a severe case of it. During the 74 minutes (they recorded it, not me) that I slept during my night at the sleep clinic I stopped breathing for ten seconds or longer a total of twenty-three times! I write these words and I still have trouble believing or understanding it. I'm told this means on an average night I stop breathing for ten seconds or longer over a hundred times.

This comes as a shock to me. I mean I know that I've been very tired over these past couple of months and that it's gotten to the point where I have a hard time functioning throughout the day, but to think that I've gone from sleeping fine a year ago to being diagnosed with severe sleep apnea is crazy. I'm 23 years old- this shouldn't be happening. But it is.

The only thing that they've come up with to explain why the sudden change and the severe case is that the tendency to have a problem was there, but it developed as severe and as rapidly as it did because of the trauma to my body with the surgeries, blood clot, infection, etc. That's a pretty steep side effect for something I thought was behind me.

So where does that leave me? To be honest a little discouraged. I don't question why this is happening to me or blame God for it. I'm way past that point. He's done a lot of amazing things in my life, so I'm not going to start complaining when a few bad things happen. But at the same time the reality of this is not too great. The long term health complications are scary without treatment and the idea of sleeping hooked up to a machine every night for the rest of my life isn't too thrilling either. But I don't really have much of a choice.

So on January 5th I will be going back to the sleep clinic to get tested out for one of those machines and until then I'll just have to suck it up and come to terms with this and figure out exactly what changes are going to have to be made in order to accommodate for this illness. Because something has to give, I'm just not sure what that is yet.

It's not the worst thing that could happen. But I would still appreciate prayers for rest cause I need it now more than ever.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow... my dad had sleep apnea too! But once you get fitted for a machine... you will sleep better. I'm thinking about ya

Jo

Anonymous said...

Wow is right... that's not healthy. I'm glad you got that looked into, and it didn't have a chance to get worse.