Saturday, November 11, 2006

Contrast

Tonight I was contemplating on my life and I came to an easy conclusion: I couldn't be more content than I am at this moment. I feel as though nothing is lacking and that is a great place to be in. I don't feel this way because life is perfect because it never will be, but rather because I am very happy in this place.

Looking at my life it is quite a contrast from even a year ago. A year ago I was sicker than I have ever been in my life and I really didn't know what the future held. I didn't know at first if I would get well again. And then once I did, I didn't know if I would ever be able to resume my ministries. My voice was shot from the tubes that were forced down my throat and if there's one thing you need in radio, it's a voice. My energy was non existent. And the contract that I was supposed to receive for my book was cancelled when the company sold out. My schooling was out the window and I didn't know if I would ever be able to resume it. Things were very uncertain.

Yet today my life couldn't be more different. My voice was restored, alongside of most of my health. The radio show is going stronger than ever- just this week five new stations in the US decided to air it and this month I'm celebrating five years on the air! My book has been picked up by a publisher and will be in stores in mere weeks. I'm back in school and I have my funding for that. Life is good. Quite a contrast from a year ago.

Yet through this contrast I have learned that my faith in God is not dependent on circumstances, which to me shines the existence of God in my life even more so. My faith in Him is just as strong today as it was last October. In fact, through the trials it was made even stronger.

Today I know beyond all doubt that God has a plan for my life and that His plan is perfect. I am no longer worried about where this life leads me because I know that no matter what "detours" I have to take, I'm going to end up exactly where He wants me. And there truly is no better place to be!

So today I smile because I know this is exactly where I am supposed to be in my life. And ironically, it is the same smile that came to my face last year at this time when I had the same realization. Yes the circumstances this time are different, but that peace is still the same.

And so today I go, I listen, and I obey. I may stay here for a while longer or God may have something else for me just around the corner- I don't know. But I do know that with Him as my guide, my life will be complete both in the smooth stretches of the road and in the bumpy sections of road.

As the Proverb says so well: "We can make our plans, but the Lord determines our steps." Thank God for that!

No comments: