Monday, October 07, 2013

Finding Still Moments

This past weekend was a very busy one. It included two trips to the ER, travelling to Cochrane for a concert & interview & church, a work project, shopping, and birthday party. Yet even in the midst of running from one thing to the next I was reminded of the need to be still.

“Be still, and know that I am God." (Psalm 46:10)

"Be still before the Lord and wait patiently for him; fret not yourself over the one who prospers in his way, over the man who carries out evil devices!" (Psalm 37:7)

"But I have calmed and quieted my soul, like a weaned child with its mother; like a weaned child is my soul within me." (Psalm 131:2)

"Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you’ll recover your life. I’ll show you how to take a real rest." (Matthew 11:28, The Message)

So while waiting in the ER waiting room I turned my smartphone off, I put away the book I had brought with me and I just sat there in silence. It was almost like letting out a breath I didn't know I had been holding. I felt my whole body relax as I just sat there in stillness and silence, allowing for a moment not labelled by a specific purpose other than silence in a weekend that was packed with oh so many moments already spoken for.

I'm thankful for those moments of silence and that was a reminder of my need to make the place for more in my life.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

amen