Monday, April 23, 2012

Loving God

One of the first books I read after becoming a Christian was Chuck Colson's "Born Again". While it documented his journey to faith, it also helped guide me on mine. Shortly after reading "Born Again" I picked up "Loving God" and was not disappointed. Colson's writings were very influential in my early days of growing in my faith and I, like many, am saddened to hear of his passing. It is my hope that when my time comes to leave this world, I could have touched even a small fraction of the number of lives that Chuck Colson did.


"More widely read, more frequently attacked than any other book in history, generations of intellectuals have attempted to discredit it; dictators of every age have outlawed it and executed those who read it. Yet soldiers carry it into battle believing it more powerful than their weapons. Fragments of it smuggled into solitary prison cells have transformed ruthless killers into gentle saints. Pieced-together scraps of Scripture have converted whole villages of pagan Indians.

Yearly, the Bible outsells every best-seller. Five hundred million copies were published last year alone. Portions have been translated into more than 1800 languages and even carried to the moon.

Literary classics endure the centuries. Philosophers mold the thoughts of generations unborn. Modern media shapes current culture. Yet nothing has affected the rise and fall of civilization, the character of cultures, the structure of governments, and the lives of the inhabitants of this planet as profoundly as the words of the Bible." (Loving God, Charles Colson)

No comments: