Thursday, January 23, 2014

Latest Devotional: Riding Blindfolded

A few weeks ago my brother took me out for a ride on his new ski do.  Because it was new he didn't have a lot of helmet selection and so instead of a heated helmet I put on a rather cold motorcycle helmet.  That might not seem like a big deal, the helmet wasn't designed for minus twenty degree weather and in no time the face mask was iced, blocking my vision which was already limited because it was dark outside.

So I found myself sitting on the back of this rather fast moving sled, tearing through trials but can't see a thing.  I couldn't see any obstacles up ahead, I couldn't prepare to lean the right way, nothing.  My safety was in my brothers hands and there was nothing I could do but stay seated and try to enjoy the ride, trusting that he would not put me in harms way or get us stuck and stranded in the middle of nowhere.

So I gripped the handle bars next to me to keep me on the machine and allowed myself to relax into the seat.  And you know what?  Not only did we make it back in one piece but I really, really enjoyed the ride. I believe there is a lesson to be learned in all of this.

Maybe right now your life circumstances have you feeling like you're blinded and just along for the ride on a machine that someone else is steering.  Maybe you can't see what comes next and you're afraid because you have no control over any of the outcomes in your life.  Maybe you've been in this place for so long, riding blindfolded and hanging on for dear life, that you're exhausted and can't imagine going on like this for another hour, let alone an other day, week or month.

I get it.  Life can be scary and confusing and at times even misleading.  But there is something that I figured out along the way that I hope you understand and that is: just because your world seems to be spinning doesn't mean it's out of control.  

God, the creator of the heavens and the earth not only created you and gave you life, but he's in the drivers seat.  God didn't create us and throw us onto this planet to be left alone to wander through it all.  No, if you have accepted Him as Lord and are following Him, then you are only stepping in the exact place that He is leading!

It might not make sense.  You might not see where you are going.  But that doesn't mean you've been abandoned and there is no purpose to the plan.  Let's look at a few verses.

Isaiah 41:10 NLT
"Don't be afraid, for I am with you. Don't be discouraged, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you. I will hold you up with my victorious right hand."

Proverbs 16:9 NLT
"We can make our plans, but the Lord determines our steps."

Psalm 37:23-24 NLT
"The Lord directs the steps of the godly. He delights in every detail of their lives. Though they stumble, they will never fall, for the Lord holds them by the hand."

Not only does God direct our steps, but he delights in every detail and holds our hands.  When the car breaks down, when our bank account is empty, when the doctor gives the diagnosis, when our future seems uncertain.  God is in control and He never leaves us alone to be tossed by the waves.  He steers, guides and directs us every step of the way.  And when we know that the one steering is someone who loves us and protects us, we can sit back and learn to enjoy the ride, knowing that even when we can't see where we're going He knows and He's going to get us through.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i can so relate